Tab Mix Plus

Official Home of TMP
It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: The future of TMP?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:26 am 

Can I just add my voice to the concern about the possible demise of TMP in a few months time.
I love Firefox generally as a browser, but without TMP it would be enormously diminished IMO.
Just being able to double click on tabs to close them is worth having by itself, as an Opera 12 user for many years I got so used to being able to do that I couldn't believe that hardly any other browser does it natively! I was delighted when TMP gave me that back, and so much more too.
If it turns out to be technically impossible to use TMP under the new add-ons system, then so be it, but I really hope that all options can be investigated by the developers before it is abandoned. I made a grateful donation to TMP when I first started using it as I was so pleased with it, and I've just today made another one in the hope that it will encourage the developers to not abandon it.
Fingers crossed! If TMP will not ever work in Firefox 57 and beyond, I will seriously consider sticking with Firefox 56, or whatever the ESR version is, and look at alternative browsers too. I really hope it doesn't come to that.
:(

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:14 am 
Admin

Thanks for the donation (although i don't get a penny of it), it might help onemen to decide if he wants to go on with TMP as WExt. After all, he's been supporting it for over a decade now and understandably at some point it's gonna need some extra encouragement to go on.
As for the browser, you can always switch to some unofficial fork, like Pale Moon or Waterfox. Not sure about PM, nut Waterfox developer says he'll stick to the old system - all exts. install and work. And onemen already said he'll continue support for PM and WF.

TMP latest dev.build
Win10 ♦ WaterfoxMy TMP forum style
◆ I'm NOT a TMP developer ◆

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:27 am 

Pale Moon is committed to supporting XUL add-ons (it will NOT support WebExtensions). Waterfox theoretically pledges to support them as well but I'm not sure how feasible it is considering Waterfox is just a set of patches over latest Firefox and Firefox 57 introduces lots of changes that will break XUL-based add-ons, it's not a simple switch like it was with NPAPI plugins.

Unfortunately, Pale Moon seriously lags in web standards support, it's more than a year behind all current major browsers. It will be hard for them to keep their browser engine up to date, it's a major undertaking. If they don't manage to keep it up to date, more & more pages will just not work on Pale Moon. But we'll see how it goes.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:12 pm 

Onemen asked about a donation to support future development on the update screen for TMP 0.5.0.4 earlier today.
If it can make a difference I'm glad to help.
Bad news about Pale Moon, I don't think I'd be too keen to start using a browser that was a year out of date.
You'd be better off sticking with Firefox 56 I would have thought, or whatever the ESR version is when 57 comes out.
:)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:57 pm 

Dave-H wrote:
You'd be better off sticking with Firefox 56 I would have thought, or whatever the ESR version is when 57 comes out.

Current ESR version is 52 and that will still be the case when Firefox 57 is out. The next ESR version will be Firefox 59 so it will not support NPAPI plugins (besides Flash) or XUL-based extensions.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:06 pm 

Ah right.
The last version of Firefox 56 it is then!
:lol:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:11 pm 

Using Firefox 56 after Firefox 57 is released will be dangerous as the browser will get vulnerable to known security issues. If you want to avoid Firefox 57 as long as possible you should switch to Firefox 52 ESR and you shouldn't disable updates.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:20 pm 

Yes, good advice, I hadn't thought about that! :lol: I had (wrongly) assumed they would be on the next ESR version before 57 was released.
Mozilla are in fact going to consider supplying security updates to 52 ESR for longer than normal as it's the last version that runs on Vista and XP.
Apparently it depends on how many Vista and XP users they detect are still using it when they make the decision.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:34 pm 

I haven't heard about plans to support Firefox 52 ESR longer than usual, do you have a source?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:01 pm 

The only source AFAIK is actually here -
https://blog.mozilla.org/futurereleases/2016/12/23/firefox-support-for-xp-and-vista/.
It is vague of course, and they are talking about Vista and XP support on Firefox ending next month, unless it's extended.
We will see!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:16 pm 

September 2017 is way before 52 ESR end of life so it looks like they were considering supporting Windows XP/Vista *shorter*, not longer than the regular ESR lifespan. 52 ESR support is currently scheduled to end on 2018-06-26[1] and it follows the same strategy as previous ESR versions.

[1]: https://wiki.mozilla.org/RapidRelease/Calendar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:14 pm 

Yes, I did wonder about that, but I didn't think that it was likely that they would suddenly remove XP and Vista compatibility from 52 ESR part way through its life cycle. As you say though, the time scales don't match. 52 ESR is now on 52.3.0, and I thought the ESR versions usually go up to xx.8.0 before they're replaced, which it certainly won't get to next month, in a couple of days time!
My understanding of ESR releases is that they are "frozen" as far as adding any new facilities to them, and just receive security and stability patches. Of course one of these could break XP and Vista compatibility before the end of 52 ESR, but as I still have an XP installation running 52 ESR (dual boot with Windows 10 running 55, which is why I'm concerned about TMP and some of my other add-ons) I hope not!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:42 am 

Thank you so much for having developed this addon.
How Firefox with Tab Mix Plus is still the only browser to date being able to show more than one row of tabs is beyond me. Wasn't the hamburger menu with it's three rows hint enough? (it reminds you of having three rows of tabs, in case you didn't know yet)

Seems like the development will become even harder now, it seems:

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/08/fire ... oming-soon

On one hand slightly improved perfomance (most likely irrelevant increases in speed), on the other hand you most likely will have to mod FF-source natively on every OS now to change GUI stuff (relevant).

There were multirow tabs in Windows 95 or something in the system settings - how come, that this concept still is so alien in browsers 20 years later? Didn't everybody use Windows?
Who would say multirow tabs are a bad idea?
Did somebody ever test this concept on a larger number of users to know for sure if users want it or not? If not, why not experiment with that, mozilla?
Why did not a single fork implement this natively yet?

Really grinds my gears.

I don't want treestyle tabs, they waste space en masse and that concept just sucks. If it were such a genius idea to have tabs on the left or right, tabs would be on the left or right already.

3 rows of tabs.
It's everything I ask for in a modern browser.

I just wanted to get this out.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:57 pm 

Long time user of TMP. I have no reason to stick with Firefox without it. I would be happy to donate, *BUT* I would like to know if onemen has any idea of the amount of funds that would be required to enable him to rewrite TMP. $1,000? $10,000? $100,000? Given all of the functionality I use from TMP, I would not hesitate to donate $100, but at the same time, I'd like to know that it will result in a TMP we can use with version 57 and beyond. How much has been received in donations for this cause?

Today was the first time I heard about this issue, and version 57 appears to be 3 months away. How many TMP users are aware of this?

I get that I can extend the November deadline using ESR 52, or switch to Waterfox, but am unsure what the disadvantages are for doing so.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:34 pm 

Hello

I would like to know, if indeed one day tabmix is no longer active. Will it be possible to retrieve or otherwise read the saved sessions ?

Thank you in advance ;-)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:15 am 

I would not mind donating at all, but would like to know first that the extension will continue to be developed. I'm on medical leave from work now and cannot afford to throw money away.
Is there any way of knowing how close to continuing development the app is, or how much more the developer needs to continue?
Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:33 am 
Admin

There soon will be a new forum section for TMP as a WebExt.. I'd imagine onemen will keep us updated on all this questions.

TMP latest dev.build
Win10 ♦ WaterfoxMy TMP forum style
◆ I'm NOT a TMP developer ◆

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:04 pm 

Dave-H wrote:
Onemen asked about a donation to support future development on the update screen for TMP 0.5.0.4 earlier today.
If it can make a difference I'm glad to help.

Would also be glad to help. I think he can use something like Patreon. It doesn't support one time payments but you can cancel after the first payment.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:05 pm 

If you look under the "more" link on the details for TMP on the Firefox Tools>Add-ons page, you will see a "contribute" link near the bottom.
:-)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:11 am 

Hi @ all,

i just registered to say the following:
Firefox without TMP is not firefox, for me

i am 100% agreeing to
dan400man wrote:
Long time user of TMP. I have no reason to stick with Firefox without it. I would be happy to donate, *BUT* I would like to know if onemen has any idea of the amount of funds that would be required to enable him to rewrite TMP. $1,000? $10,000? $100,000? Given all of the functionality I use from TMP, I would not hesitate to donate $100, but at the same time, I'd like to know that it will result in a TMP we can use with version 57 and beyond. How much has been received in donations for this cause?
Please let me know the result - thanks!

gr33tz