Tab Mix Plus

Official Home of TMP
It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:42 am 

Since it's nearly 2 months since Quantum release, and with very little communication I am beginning to wonder if TMP is not actually going to come back. I have been checking these forums for news every day since Quantum Release and apart from Makondo trying his best to keep everyone upbeat we don't know for sure as Onemen is not communicating his ideas or any other knowledge.

I would of thought and mentioned before that it would be a good idea to release TMP as an WebEx with a few functions that actually work and then when onemen has the next completed functions etc he releases the updates to AMO and we then start to build the TMP feature list as it was before. However as there is no TMP extension at all at the momnent, the x,xxx,xxx of users that were using TMP pre-Quantum have most probaly all resigned to using Quantum as it is or use a few other webex but TMP will not get those users back making TMP a less popular extension.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:20 pm 

You're just like every other naysayer who gets impatient because something [s]he used before is not working in a newer version of software.

In case you haven't been following along, there is a large list of bugs blocking functionality of what TMP does in the current Quantum generation of browsers. And your passive-aggressive stance is helping no one. neither does your speculation on who is using what.

Basically, your post is irrelevant, and unless you have any actual code to send to onemen to help him resolve the issues the WE-based TMP development is currently facing, you're not helping at all, and your wild speculation only serves to piss people off. Which, if that's what you came here to do, congrats, you did it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:00 am 

My favorite feature of TMP is the flexible tabs, I cannot understand why FF wastes precious screen real estate giving all tabs the same length.

Another feature, just as important to me, is the ability to open new tabs in background from links to other websites, or from urlbar, searchbar etc. An addon that just did these two things would already be my favorite, most essential addon.

@kobaz: same here, cannot access the option window on nightly any longer.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:46 am 

johngalt wrote:
You're just like every other naysayer who gets impatient because something [s]he used before is not working in a newer version of software.

In case you haven't been following along, there is a large list of bugs blocking functionality of what TMP does in the current Quantum generation of browsers. And your passive-aggressive stance is helping no one. neither does your speculation on who is using what.

Basically, your post is irrelevant, and unless you have any actual code to send to onemen to help him resolve the issues the WE-based TMP development is currently facing, you're not helping at all, and your wild speculation only serves to piss people off. Which, if that's what you came here to do, congrats, you did it.

Sure, you are right, but communication is also important @johngalt and it's not good enough just to diss any concern or insult instead. I, for example, a keen TMP user, *have* resigned myself to use Quantum as is, with as many useful tweaks as I can garner either in about:config options or other small extensions. I may never need to go back to TMP, although I do hope I will be able to do so and that it will be worth doing so in the future.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:52 am 

I could agree with you if you had paid anything for TMP (and do not count donations - you freely made those with 0 strings attached, so they do nto count).

It would be nice, yes, for onemen to update us - but if you bothered looking around here just a little bit, you'd also see where Robart AB is posting links left and right of bugs that affect one part of TMP - Session management - and see how many bugs to date are related to that one issue.

Here is the link: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=19942

As you can see it grew from a single bug, to a few, to now encompassing more than 10 (!) bugs - and that is for just one feature.

As for dissing your 'concern' - sorry, you did not come across as having any concerns - you worded your post very craftily as a passive-agressive "Oh, woe is me!" in order to have someone jump at it and soothe your concerns - instead of just flat out waiting like everyone else here.

And really unnerving is your assumption in the second part of your first post - as if you think onemen is such a poor programmer that he would never have thought to do that at all. Ever. Even with development builds of TMP going back years notwithstanding.

I think you're beginning to see why your post was 'dissed' - and if not, take a harder, longer look.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:28 pm 

johngalt wrote:
I could agree with you if you had paid anything for TMP (and do not count donations - you freely made those with 0 strings attached, so they do nto count).

It would be nice, yes, for onemen to update us - but if you bothered looking around here just a little bit, you'd also see where Robart AB is posting links left and right of bugs that affect one part of TMP - Session management - and see how many bugs to date are related to that one issue.

As you can see it grew from a single bug, to a few, to now encompassing more than 10 (!) bugs - and that is for just one feature.

As for dissing your 'concern' - sorry, you did not come across as having any concerns - you worded your post very craftily as a passive-agressive "Oh, woe is me!" in order to have someone jump at it and soothe your concerns - instead of just flat out waiting like everyone else here.

And really unnerving is your assumption in the second part of your first post - as if you think onemen is such a poor programmer that he would never have thought to do that at all. Ever. Even with development builds of TMP going back years notwithstanding.

I think you're beginning to see why your post was 'dissed' - and if not, take a harder, longer look.

Superb put-down. You should be really proud. But I don''t think I was saying that you had dissed one of my posts - if I was, I cannot see which one it was and would be so grateful if you could point me at it. I was pointing out that you appeared to be dissing someone elkse's post. Meanwhile, if you think I am being "craftily passive aggressive", well, I think that you are just being plain and nakedly aggressive and I guess there is no place for me here - so you win. Well done and thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:26 am 

@wilf21,

I fully agree with your points.
I don't think that the people here know more than you and I do, even if some talks as if he was onemen's spokesman.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:31 pm 

I just look at the change log and think that mentioning "57" is enough to justify knowing how it is working. Mostly it is great when I see "Fixed."
So, for those wondering the progress, there's your answer.
Let's not revoke people being entitled to ask, though. (Of course, not in a way that means negativity)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:10 pm 

wilf21 wrote:
johngalt wrote:

Superb put-down. You should be really proud. But I don''t think I was saying that you had dissed one of my posts - if I was, I cannot see which one it was and would be so grateful if you could point me at it. I was pointing out that you appeared to be dissing someone elkse's post. Meanwhile, if you think I am being "craftily passive aggressive", well, I think that you are just being plain and nakedly aggressive and I guess there is no place for me here - so you win. Well done and thank you.

My apologies - I thought you were the one I responded to - and for that I am completely in the wrong. All of that was not directed at you in the beginning, and thus should not have been directed at you afterward.

However, everything I said is still true, misdirection notwithstanding. So, if you think this is about winning or losing, you're still off-base with my intent...

And as for other people trying to get in on the war of words, let me just leave this quotation from onemen himself right here:

from viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19581&p=73189#p73184

Quote:
Tabmix preferences dialog is broken in Nightly since January 4th after bug 1379338 - scriptify preferences XBL (i.e. convert preferences XBL to JS) landed.

Fixing this will require major rewrite of Tabmix legacy preferences code.
Since i'm not going to use the legacy preferences code in the future Webextension I'm not sure i'm going to fix this issue any time soon

So, recap:

1) Legacy code is out, so developing TMP for Quamtum-based browsers requires a complete code rewrite.
2) He is not going to be using legacy code in the re-write new TMP for Quantum-based browsers.
3) He is not fixing any issues that the legacy-code based addon has with Quantum-based browsers.

Infer what you will from that. I read it as "It's gonna take some time because this sh*t is not easy to do because I have to start from scratch. And if I spend any more time fixing what I already have out there now then it puts development of the new TMP back even farther."

Any questions?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:13 pm 

But the beauty of all this is the big takeaway that almost no one is gonna get out of this:

"I'm working hard on getting the WE API based addon ready for prime time, so that's the real reason I won't work on making stop-gap measures to make the current TMP iteration work on Quantum-based browsers."

Which pretty much is a directly reply to the post that I originally (and scathingly, yes) replied to.

Ha!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:54 am 

johngalt wrote:
But the beauty of all this is the big takeaway that almost no one is gonna get out of this:

"I'm working hard on getting the WE API based addon ready for prime time, so that's the real reason I won't work on making stop-gap measures to make the current TMP iteration work on Quantum-based browsers."

Which pretty much is a directly reply to the post that I originally (and scathingly, yes) replied to.

Ha!

Your point is well made. Let's leave it at that and enjoy TMP whenever it returns.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:35 pm 

Indeed. I will be one of the happiest ones when it is ready - no matter how long.

And again, my apologies for my gaffe in not realizing you were not the person I replied to the first time.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:12 pm 

Vote on APIs/bug fixes needed by Tab Mix Plus:
viewtopic.php?f=8&p=73159#p73159

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6