Tab Mix Plus

Official Home of TMP
It is currently Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lost hundred+ tabs
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:03 am 

My computer turned off in a power outage, and when I launched Firefox again, only about 16 of the most recent tabs, out of hundreds, reopened - losing me tabs spanning back about 2+ years.

Even when I clicked in the session manager 'restore crashed session, 168 tabs' - it still only restored the same handful - and for some reason it opened 2 windows as well to do this, reopening only the same 16 tabs.
Even this option is now gone, after completely closing Firefox and launching again.

This should never happen. Anything which presents itself as having a session manager feature, must never - under any circumstances - lose tabs, or it can't be relied upon.

Is it possible to recover these tabs, or are the crashed tab sessions only saved for a very short time?
If there is a possibility that these are lost forever, then the session manager needs a complete overhaul, to keep perpetual backups of the tabs - to make it as 'bombproof' as possible.

Is there a more reliable session manger, which I can depend upon to never fail? TMP has worked fine for years and years in this regard, but this time it's failed me.

Post subject: Re: Lost hundred+ tabs
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:59 pm 
Admin

How to post
Troubleshooting
http://tabmixplus.org/support/viewpage. ... ger-backup

Moving to Problems and Questions forum.

I'm NOT a TMP developer ◆ Win10 ♦ WaterfoxMy forum style
TMP latest dev.build

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:18 pm 

This happened to me again just now, after Firefox crashed - disabled TMP session manager so it (hopefully) won't happen again. Only a handful of tabs out of dozens were restored.

Windows 7 64bit, Firefox 41.0.2, right now I am on latest TMP but it may have been pending auto-update when issue occurred.

Extensions:
NoScript
uBlock
Cookie Monster
Classic Theme Restorer
Dictionary.com
Greasemonkey
Image Zoom
Lazarus
Menu Editor
NoSquint
Request Policy
Restartless Restart
Save File To
Stylish
User Agent Switcher

What I suspect may be happening, is that after a manual restart of Firefox, Firefox leaves some tabs unloaded - and if I click on those tabs, they are then loaded into memory.

I think that TMP is not saving these tabs, because the tabs that seemed to reappear, are ones that I have recently viewed sinced manually restarting Firefox.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:18 pm 
Admin

Did you read Troubleshooting? Have you tried to restore some backup session as suggested there? Have you tried a clean profile or disable other exts. (i'd start with Request Policy)?

BTW, Menu Editor is outdated and no longer supported. We (i mean many users i know and i) moved on to Menu Wizard - a better ext. with really good support.

TMP latest dev.build

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:12 pm 

Thanks for posting Menu Wizard, that's an interesting one.

I don't have a quick repro for this issue (though I may have some ideas there, which I may try at some stage), so waiting for this to happen again could take a long time - so it's not really easy for me to do the extra tests you ask of (many of the extensions I use, I'd rather not go without while waiting for the next crash).

There should be enough info from what I've posted, for devs to work with, for checking if there's a potential problem - I may explore a better repro more in the future, which would allow me to narrow this down more, but right now have limited time.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 pm 
Admin

Try Session Manager ext. and see if you'll get the same problem. In the mean time, as i said, there are steps in the Troubleshooting you can try to restore those 'lost' tabs (a session with those tabs) - renaming the file might work (however, if those 'lost' tabs did not load, they are probably not saved).

TMP latest dev.build

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:44 am 

Cheers, will try that extension - seems I used it before, but a long time ago, so wonder if I had problems with that one too.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:55 am 

I just want to note, that other people have posted the same problem here, and there is also a review on the TMP extension page noting this problem:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... -mix-plus/

So this is definitely warranting revisiting and a lot of experimentation/testing from devs, even if there may not yet be a solid repro case - as it seems there is definitely something up, and that it's a fairly major problem, that devs should catch and fix ASAP before more people lose tabs.

I'm using the Session Manager plugin now, but I have not crashed again yet, so can't see if it occurs with that. For unrelated reasons/issues with Firefox, I'm looking at switching to Pale Moon now - so don't know if I'll still be able to watch for this issue in the future.

EDIT: Oh and also, watch out for that Menu Wizard plugin - it contains ads (see reviews, confirmed by dev), and I don't trust installing it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:40 pm 
Admin

Please don't spread "horror stories". MW has an option to opt out of advertising and his reasoning for advertising is explained in the option:
Attachment:
1.png
1.png [ 17.7 KiB | Viewed 686 times ]

Click Change Status to see his explanation.

People like this run around screaming 'fire!' but should learn to read first. And that includes people who post about bugs on AMO despite requests by many developers not to, right there in exts. description AND right by the review textbox as a suggestion from AMO!
Attachment:
3.png
3.png [ 116.03 KiB | Viewed 684 times ]

As for your original issue, wait for onemen.

TMP latest dev.build

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:39 am 

I'm not trying to spread horror stories, and I don't give a toss if you don't appreciate the way people spend their own time to report bugs in your software - I post solely to make sure that the devs are aware that this is a real bug/problem, that it is not a once-off issue experienced just by one user, and that it's a relatively major bug that (to protect the very good rep of TMP) needs a fix ASAP.

I understand the devs put their own free time into the software, and do not owe users anything, and I appreciate that (TMP is one of the best and most well maintained plugins for any browser, and I view it as an essential one, so appreciate the work a lot) - reporting bugs is not a personal attack against the devs, don't take it personally - moreso, don't be too picky about the manner in which people report bugs, or they won't bother and you'll miss important bugs.

On the Menu Wizard plugin containing ads:
I will never download a plugin which I know contains ads, because that creates an incentive for the developer to 'accidentally' ignore ad opt-outs - something that a high proportion of ad-containing software does on a regular basis, and which reviewers complained about on the Menu Wizard review page (the plugin, at one stage, ignored the ad opt-out...) - because that creates money for the dev.

Even if the developer of a plugin puts in ads for innocent reasons, ads in software is still inherently a malware risk due to most ad software executing third-party scripts which are poorly policed by ad-providers - which is a method of showing ads (third party scripts) which devs have an inherent incentive for implementing, as it provides more money.
This is not scaremongering either - ads are one of the biggest sources of malware online.

In my view, all plugins which contain ads should have a big red warning under the download button on their AMO page, so users can not miss this fact.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:35 am 
Admin

You've missed my point. Developers and AMO admins ask not to post bug reports in reviews for a good reason(s).
a) Some devs don't even visit AMO to see those reports or don't come often enough (after all, it is their 'free' time).
b) Those reviews often belong to older versions - bug(s) have been long fixed but the bug 'report' remains - people don't come back to 'fix' their reviews. It confuses others (and keeps lower rating undeservedly).
c) AMO is not a chat/forum and there's no way to properly troubleshoot or communicate. That's why some developers post some means of communication to get more info/troubleshoot, etc.

So, to help onemen to find the cause of this issue, have you done any troubleshooting? Like new clean profile with TMP only? Or at least disable other exts.? Have you tried to rename/restore session.rdf file (you can try it in another profile where you can re-create a crash, for instance)? etc.
If you ever manage any troubleshooting and get some additional info, please post here. However, i see you now use Pale Moon, probably with a new profile? If you encounter the same issue, see if there any errors in Browser console and attach your TMPprefs.txt file.

TMP latest dev.build

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:46 am 

See, right now you're failing to take a bug report seriously - when the issue it highlights is a major one.

You don't tell a user who is reporting a bug, to go through a big list of steps to take, before you'll take the bug seriously.

If you had read back through what I wrote above, you'll see this is a hard to repro bug, because I have to wait for Firefox to crash - and that it's just not feasible for me to disable all other plugins until I crash, since that takes months and I need those other plugins.

This is a major bug. This requires that the devs do the grunt work in trying to experiment and repro the issue, based on the little information they can get from users - are the devs doing this? Or are they just sitting on this awaiting more information from people reporting the same bug?

If it's the latter, then the devs are doing things wrong. A bug that is this disruptive and major, requires more of an active effort on the part of devs - especially when I, as a user, can't provide more information given the hard to repro nature of the problem.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:20 am 
Admin

And now calm down, read slowly and think.
First of all, i'm not a developer (read my signature). I'm a user just like you but with an extra button to delete users i don't like in this forum Image
So, i'm spending my free time trying to help you with suggestions that normally work, collecting (trying to) more info for onemen. And bumping this thread so onemen will see it. I'm not responsible for the extension or developer.
2. How is developer suppose to fix anything if he has no information about what to fix in the first place?
So, as i said above, you can try to re-create the issue in a new profile. Install TMP. Close PM and copy the session.rdf (with all those 200 tabs session(s)) from the default profile to the new profile. Start PM, open session with that many tabs, crash PM (Task manager/end proccess will do). Start PM. If/when you see the issue, post errors from Browser console if any. Attach your TMPprefs.txt file.
If you don't have time for any of this, you'll have to wait for onemen to collect enough info and see if it is a bug he can 'fix'.

TMP latest dev.build