Tab Mix Plus

Official Home of TMP
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:10 pm 

Currently, middle-clicking this toolbar button restores all tabs. This can be a real problem with occasional bad mouse aim, so is there a way to disable middle-clicking on it?

Last edited by TwoCables on Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:41 am 

So, I guess there's no way to disable it. I mean, I've been waiting 2 weeks for a reply.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:03 am 
Admin

onemen is on vacation til the end of the month, he might answer if/when he gets time and connection.
But from my own experience, i never 'misclick' Mclick, it's such a PITB. To use it, you really need to aim it on purpose.

TMP latest dev.build
Win10 ♦ Waterfox
◆ I'm NOT a TMP developer ◆

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:17 am 

makondo wrote:
onemen is on vacation til the end of the month, he might answer if/when he gets time and connection.
But from my own experience, i never 'misclick' Mclick, it's such a PITB. To use it, you really need to aim it on purpose.

I'm not going to stop middle-clicking my tabs to close them because it's MUCH easier than aiming at a little red 'X'. More importantly though, I had to remove that close tab button because I would sometimes mis-click when selecting a tab and accidentally click the close button. Besides, for me, I don't find that I really need to aim my middle-click on purpose any more than I need to aim a left-click on purpose.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:21 pm 
Admin

I thought you were talking about Close tabs list button. Are you now talking about the close tab button that appears on every tab?

TMP latest dev.build
Win10 ♦ Waterfox

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:36 pm 

No. It seemed to me that you were trying to recommend that I stop middle-clicking because you feel it's a pain in the butt. So, I'm saying that I won't stop and I'm explaining why. The fact that I middle-click to close tabs is how I have a risk of accidentally middle-clicking the Close Tabs List button. That's why I want nothing to happen if I accidentally middle-click it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:58 pm 
Admin

I see. Just clarifying. BTW, i didn't recommend you stop using anything you like to use. I simply share my experience. I even install an ext. by srazzano Dragit so that i won't need to Mclick links to open in the current tab. I simply don't like using it for anything.
I don't know what onemen thinks about this, check in later to see if he has any ideas.
Good Luck!

TMP latest dev.build
Win10 ♦ Waterfox

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:01 pm 

Thank you, makondo! :)

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 4:12 pm 

onemen: I love the Display Closed Tabs List feature, but I can't use it until middle-clicking it doesn't do anything. Can you help?

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 4:53 pm 

Bump.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 1:42 pm 

I really like this feature of Tab Mix Plus (I am anxiously waiting to be able to put it back onto my toolbar), but I can't use it until middle-clicking this button doesn't do anything! Is anything going to be done about this? Am I the only one who cares or who wants this? Should I just give up and assume that nobody cares?

You see, I always middle-click to close my tabs because I intentionally removed the Close button on them so that I no longer accidentally close tabs if I ever select them with my mouse or grab them to move them. I have tried getting accustomed to better mouse aim near the Display Closed Tabs List button, but I've been middle-clicking to close tabs for years now, and so it's very frustrating (to say the least).

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 9:58 am 

Bump?

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 9:03 pm 

Sigh. Come on.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 11:10 pm 

You could move the icon to another toolbar (near the url bar maybe) using "customize" so you don't accidentally click it but can still get to it when needed. https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/customize-firefox-controls-buttons-and-toolbars

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 11:17 pm 
Admin

Hmm ... that's what i said but my post got lost somehow ... i guess i accidentally closed the tab with it before submitting ... or something like that. Anyway, here it is:
"Yeah, onemen still didn't post here. In the mean time, have you tried moving that button away from the tabbar to some other toolbar? Maybe that will help."
I'd place it between buttons that don't have a midclick function, just in case.

TMP latest dev.build
Win10 ♦ Waterfox

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:59 am 

I know how to move buttons along the toolbar, but think about it: no matter where it is on the toolbar, it will always potentially be directly beneath a tab.

I've tried everything. That's why I have decided to make this thread.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:43 am 
Admin

No, not if you have tabbar where it used to be, at the bottom of the toolbar:
Attachment:
1.png
1.png [ 46.65 KiB | Viewed 1924 times ]

And even in a clean profile you can place it away from tabs:
Attachment:
2.png
2.png [ 41.13 KiB | Viewed 1924 times ]

Of course, if your hands shake a lot, this might not be a solution for you.

TMP latest dev.build
Win10 ♦ Waterfox

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:22 am 

Oh wow, I think I'd hate that. :/ I'd rather keep not using this button and try to wait for an option to make middle-clicking do nothing.

By the way, in the 2nd screenshot, it's not any further away from tabs than it is in the default configuration. I could see still accidentally middle-clicking it. Plus, I'd have to have the menu bar shown which I rarely ever use so I keep it hidden.

Like I said, I have come to the conclusion that my only solution is to have the option to make middle-clicking this button do nothing. Keep suggesting things though because I hope there's something I missed.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:04 pm 

I did very little testing, but it appears you could use this extension https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/undo-closed-tabs-button/ and replace the Tab Mix Plus button with the button from this extension (using customize.) Middle-click does not open the full list of closed tabs but other than that is is very similar. I did not test much so test it with unimportant sites before you really trust it. I'd hate for you to lose anything of importance. It's a bad idea to have multiple extensions that do the same thing so if onemen does supply a fix, make sure to remove this one. Also, if you have problems with just about anything in the future, disable this first to make sure it isn't the problem. One last thing, if you install this extension, it opens a dumb webpage the first time. I wouldn't click on any of the links on that page and just close it. It sort of looks like an options page, but you are better off going through the Firefox add-on manager to get to the real options page.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:58 am 

Chris000001 wrote:
I did very little testing, but it appears you could use this extension https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/undo-closed-tabs-button/ and replace the Tab Mix Plus button with the button from this extension (using customize.) Middle-click does not open the full list of closed tabs but other than that is is very similar. I did not test much so test it with unimportant sites before you really trust it. I'd hate for you to lose anything of importance. It's a bad idea to have multiple extensions that do the same thing so if onemen does supply a fix, make sure to remove this one. Also, if you have problems with just about anything in the future, disable this first to make sure it isn't the problem. One last thing, if you install this extension, it opens a dumb webpage the first time. I wouldn't click on any of the links on that page and just close it. It sort of looks like an options page, but you are better off going through the Firefox add-on manager to get to the real options page.

Oh wow, for some reason it never occurred to me to see if an extension existed for this one feature. Thanks to you, I'm using it right now and so far it's working perfectly! Thank you.

Don't worry; you didn't have to explain anything to me. I'm much more computer-literate and computer-friendly than this thread might imply. ;)

Thanks again though! This is exactly what I needed.