Tab Mix Plus

Official Home of TMP
It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:53 pm 

I recently upgraded from Windows XP (about time, huh?) and am running Firefox again at long last (due to a registry-error that messed with FF and only FF, so it's was Chrome for a long period until getting upgrading Windows.)

Now using Firefox 35 and TabMix Plus v.4.1.6 (among other extensions), I'm working on restoring my old settings again.

I was hunting around to get the old drop-indicator back once more since the Moz team decided around v17 that the Chrome-inspired tabs-shift-when-being-drag-moved style was more módern. I noticed that the option in Mouse -> Mouse Gestures to disable this ("move tabs directly" which I think is not very clear by itself as I had to do some searching to learn that this was what I wanted) is not available when the "Multi-row"-option is selected in the Display -> Tab Bar submenu of TMP's options.

Since the tab-duplication (cloning tabs with ctrl+LMB-drag) behavior still uses the old indicator (and works just fine), I decided to do a quick experiment after having read that the drop-indicator supposedly doesn't work with the Multi-row overflow mode - the option is greyed-out. I switched to one of the single-row modes and then disabled tabs-slide-on-being-dragged-to-move and then changed back to Multi-row mode once I had the drop-indicator back, and it didn't break anything.

Please see attachments below. Also, I'll add two more in a moment because of the upload-limit of 3 attachments.

Attachments:
drop indicator workaround 01.png
drop indicator workaround 01.png [ 33.86 KiB | Viewed 6841 times ]
drop indicator workaround 01b.png
drop indicator workaround 01b.png [ 41.97 KiB | Viewed 6841 times ]

Last edited by CronoCat on Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:55 pm 

Here are the other two, just to make things clearer.

Attachments:
drop indicator workaround 02a.png
drop indicator workaround 02a.png [ 38.55 KiB | Viewed 6841 times ]
drop indicator workaround 02b.png
drop indicator workaround 02b.png [ 41.41 KiB | Viewed 6841 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:30 pm 
Admin

Drop indicator doesn't work when there's only one row with multi-row option checked. It should work when you get a second row. It does for me (the orange arrow is my drop indicator):
Attachment:
1.png
1.png [ 25.09 KiB | Viewed 6836 times ]

Moving to Problems and Questions.

TMP latest dev.build
Win10 ♦ Waterfox
◆ I'm NOT a TMP developer ◆

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:19 pm 

Running Classic Theme Restorer, (v1.2.9) I don't have any problems with the drop-indicator showing in either case, with multiple rows or without.

I was mostly posting because I found the behavior of that checkbox in the options-menu inconsistent given that it can be locked to true or false (checked or unchecked) depending on what was selected before switching back to multi-row. In addition, it lacks a good tooltip-on-hover (or just something in parenthesis) explaining more precisely what "move tabs directly" could mean for the end-user.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:53 pm 
Admin

You're welcome to post what you'd like to see there, i'm sure onemen will consider it and appreciate the help.

TMP latest dev.build
Win10 ♦ Waterfox

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:43 am 
Admin

I will fix this.

The check box in Mouse Gestures > When dragging a tab move it directly, will be always enabled
I will change it to When dragging a tab move it directly (applies only when tabs are in single row)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:11 am 
Admin

^ that's confusing to me Image What do you mean 'applies only when tabs are in single row'?
If it's always enabled, why the option? Just eliminate the whole line and keep those 2 indicator icons options. This way nobody's confused. Too much fuss for such a small matter. I can see the dragged tab in either case, so just always show the drop indicator. After all, i'd imagine majority of users would want to see where they're dropping a tab. And those who don't, can post here and i'll give them a code to hide it.
But if you insist, maybe something like this:
Hide drop indicator when dragging a tab (applies only when tabs are in single row)

TMP latest dev.build
Win10 ♦ Waterfox

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:59 am 
Admin

makondo,

This option is not about the drop indicator, it's about moving the tab when you drag it.
When this option is on, and tabs are on one row, the tab starts to move when you start dragging it.
When tabs are in mutli-row or when this options is off the tab is not moving when you drag it and you see a drop indicator, the tab will move to its new place when you stop dragging it and release the mouse button.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:31 pm 
Admin

Thanks, never noticed! I see tabs moving as soon as i click to grab and move 'em. It might have to do with OS settings (i have mine set to show windows when dragging) 'cause when the option is enabled, i see fully loaded tab and when it's disabled, i see a semi-transparent tab. But i do see them dragged either way. That's why this option is so confusing to me.
In any case, too fancy. What's the fuss about anyway? The option sounds confusing (to me, as you can see) and not needed at all (IMO) but since it's not asking me for money, let it be if you have to. Until somebody posts about it again confused as i am Image

TMP latest dev.build
Win10 ♦ Waterfox

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:35 pm 
Admin

... thinking ... how about: Show tab while dragging (applies only when tabs are in single row) ?

TMP latest dev.build
Win10 ♦ Waterfox

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:33 am 
Admin

makondo wrote:
... thinking ... how about: Show tab while dragging (applies only when tabs are in single row) ?
no no no :(

makondo wrote:
....cause when the option is enabled, i see fully loaded tab and when it's disabled, i see a semi-transparent tab.
That's a bug, and i will fix it in the next version.

makondo wrote:
But i do see them dragged either way.
When this option is on the tab itself moves when you drag it, the small 'picture' of the tab is also visible and moves with it.
when this option is off, or when there are more then one row of tabs, you only see the drag indicator that indicate where the tab will be when you drop it, and you see the small 'picture' of the tab moves.

i would like to add something like this to the help page, please review the grammar:
Quote:
When dragging a tab move it directly (applies only when tabs are in single row)
This option is not about the drop indicator, it's about moving the tab when you drag it.
When this option is on, and tabs are on one row, the tab starts to move when you start dragging it.
When tabs are in mutli-row or when this options is off the tab is not moving when you drag it and you see a drop indicator, the tab will move to its new place when you stop dragging it and release the mouse button.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:59 am 
Admin

PM'ed

TMP latest dev.build
Win10 ♦ Waterfox