Tab Mix Plus

Official Home of TMP
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:23 pm 

Hi everyone,

(First I apologize for my english...)

I use FF 55.0.3 (64 bits) and I tried with TMP 0.5.0.4 and 0.5.0.5pre.170827a2 and session save does not work correctly: previously unloaded tabs are not restored even if the session list shows that they seem to be saved....

Steps to reproduce:
- Set both FF and TMP to load tabs only on demand (the "reload pinned tabs" setting has no effect).
- Start FF, open lots of tabs for your work (for example 100), save your session as "My session 1" (for example).
- Close FF (NOT "Reload FF" from FF menu!).

- Start FF, all tabs are restored, only last active tab is reloaded, all others are not (reload on demand settings).
- Reload a few other tabs from your session (for example 4), open some new tabs (for example 2), you should now have 102 tabs with only 7 loaded (1st active tab + 4 + 2 in this example).
- Save to another session "My session 2".
- Close FF.

- Start FF and you'll see only the 7 previously loaded tabs restored and none of the all previously not loaded tabs, even if the session list shows the correct number of tabs in the two sessions.
- Choose to load the "My session 1", all its saved tabs will be restored, as expected (only the last active one is reloaded).
- Choose to load the "My session 2", only the 7 saved tabs of this example will be restored (with only the last active tab reloaded) and absolutly not the number of tabs that should be contained in this session.
- This behaviour is the same when you update an existing session.

By the way, the "Reload FF" action from FF menu makes the current session to reload tabs correctly, with only the last active tab reloaded and all others restored. But the last sessions list of TMP is not (or badly) updated.....

I made a try by downgrading to TMP 0.5.0.3 (not really compatible with FF 55), the session manager works well, except that I got 4 FF windows at each start of FF (yes, 4 !!) with the exact same tabs restored in each window..

Regards,
Johan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:33 am 

Hi everyone, a small update:

(First, I see that I previously forgot to mention that I use FF 64 bits with Windows 7 64 bits...)

I've found a workaround to correctly save a session (runs fine with both FF 55 and now 56):
- Install TMP 0.5.0.3
- Restart FF
- Save the current session
- Reinstall TMP 0.5.0.4
- Restart FF
-> The session is correctly saved and can be correctly restored: all tabs are restored, even those that were not previously activated/loaded...

In fact, in my case (with both FF 55 and 56):
- TMP 0.5.0.3 saves well the session (but restores it badly which is fixed in newer versions of TMP).
- TMP 0.5.0.4/0.5.0.5pre.170827a2 has now some issues when saving the current session: only activated/loaded tabs are saved.
- TMP 0.5.0.4 restores well only what was saved!

Regards,
Johan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:24 am 
Admin

Is all this in a clean profile with TMP only installed? If not, try a clean profile:
Troubleshooting

Save your setting somewhere (TMP Options/Preferences/Export ...). Create a clean profile, install the latest TMP dev.build. Exit Fx. Navigate to your profile and replace sessions.rdf file with the sessions.rdf file from your 'old' profile.
Start the new profile, and see if you get the same problem.
If you do, install your other exts. one by one to find which one conflicts.
OR:
disable other exts. in your existing profile and enable one by one, etc.
It's all in Troubleshooting.

TMP latest dev.build
Win10 ♦ Waterfox
◆ I'm NOT a TMP developer ◆

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:18 pm 

makondo wrote:
Is all this in a clean profile with TMP only installed? If not, try a clean profile:
Troubleshooting

Save your setting somewhere (TMP Options/Preferences/Export ...). Create a clean profile, install the latest TMP dev.build. Exit Fx. Navigate to your profile and replace sessions.rdf file with the sessions.rdf file from your 'old' profile.
OR:

While using a clean firefox profile with only TMP on, it still has this issue for me. This issue seems to be present for all versions that came after 0.5.0.3 for at least a small portion of the users.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:43 pm 

makondo wrote:
Troubleshooting

OR:

I'm sorry but it did nothing better..... I still have to use TMP 0.5.0.3 to correctly save the session (even to just close FF!) and use TMP 0.5.0.4 (or the current 0.5.0.5pre.170827a2) for a correct main FF behaviour.

matirion wrote:
While using a clean firefox profile with only TMP on, it still has this issue for me. This issue seems to be present for all versions that came after 0.5.0.3 for at least a small portion of the users.

For the moment I've switched to Waterfox (a FF derivative, purged of Mozilla telemetry and some other stuff, currently on version 55.2.2). It uses its own profile folder so it doesn't share any user settings with FF and the issue is still there: I still have to save the session using TMP 0.5.0.3...

So, the problem persists:
- To save your session when you have some previously not reloaded/activated tabs (even before you simply close FF), revert back to TMP 0.5.0.3.
- To use FF as usual (also before closing FF if you had to revert back to TMP 0.5.0.3 or you'll have issues when starting FF next time), re-update to TMP 0.5.0.4.

Regards,
Johan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:56 am 
Admin

Attach your TMP preferences.

sent to my mail the file session.rdf from your test profile